It took years of searching but the Samaritan Center finally found a bigger, brighter home with the completion of interior renovations to the former St. John the Evangelist Church, a church that was closed and sitting empty. It’s now a new sanctuary for the hungry to receive two meals each day.
It’s always a challenge to knit construction of a historic structure, in this case 1850, with contemporary construction techniques. Preserving and protecting a historic structure while adapting it to current needs required good organization, patience and creativity. The Samaritan Center kitchen, for instance, takes the place of the altar; some of the church materials were re-purposed; the wooden rail for communion is now on the food service line, and the old pews are now dining seats. There’s a special space for families that includes a seating area with books and toys and booster seats. There’s also an additional room for people to meet in private with caseworkers and other guidance professionals.
15,000 sq ft
1 sq ft
Dalpos Architects & Integrators